[lbo-talk] 600 US Military Families Launch Campaign to Bring Troops Home Now

joand315 joand315 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 18:11:44 PDT 2003

RE wrote:

> MREs aren't surprising, but the low water rations are astonishing. Has
> anyone else seen reports of similar limits?
> Randy

I have seen similar reports. They outran their supply lines, and have to now depend on private contractors (thanks to GWB) to re-supply them.

Not only do they not get enough water, bad enough, one would think, but they are having a heck of a time getting spare parts and have left quite a few abandoned vehicles on the way to Baghdad.

What grunts and moms and dads and spouses are saying is that our supply machine in Iraq is broken. Which is a shocker since there’s never been a better logistical performer than the U.S. Army.

This is a pretty good site for reading about the non-political problems the Army is having:

http://www.sftt.org/hackstarget.html "Even though Iraq presently costs you and me over three billion bucks a month and Generals are living in palaces, the kids are complaining about the basic stuff so important to grunts: hot chow, decent water, mail and spare parts to keep vehicles, aircraft and weapons going. They’re ragging about eating lots of dust and their Hobo Junction living conditions. Some combat units haven’t gotten mail in over 40 days, while for months many have been chowing down MRE’s -- which after a few weeks are like eating bark from a tree -- with a side of hot drinking water laced with enough chlorine to make even a lifeguard squeamish. And for those in the combat arena, spare parts are harder to obtain than a cold drink."

-joan