[lbo-talk] Michael Yates on Orthodox Economics vs Marxism, and more

Sasha Lilley sashalilley at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 19:42:08 PDT 2003

I'm hoping Doug doesn't mind my advertising another radical Left radio show here...

Michael Yates was interviewed today on our program Living Room on why Marxism has greater explanatory power than neoclassical economics (see below). The archived audio can be found at www.livingroomradio.org.

Other currently archived shows that might interest people are programs on Marx and Freud; Israeli scholar Baruch Kimmerling on the Israeli state and Ariel Sharon; Bertolt Brecht; Robin DG Kelley on his book Freedom Dreams; myths about the decline of the family; the Jewish and Palestinian editors of Between the Lines on what's wrong with the Left in Israel and Palestine; limiting the work week; the International Longshore and Warehouse Union's organization of agricultural labor in Hawaii; non-monogamy; and much more.

Wed 8.13.03| Orthodox Economics vs. Marxism

Neoliberal prescriptions applied around the globe have left many progressives skeptical of orthodox economic theory. And yet what alternative theories exist? Labor economist Michael Yates argues that Marxism provides us with a means of understanding our world, with all its poverty and inequality, in a way that isn't abstracted from reality

Sasha Lilley Producer, KPFA's Living Room 510/848-6767 x209 www.livingroomradio.org