[lbo-talk] Fwd: Axis of Weasels

Frederick Emrich, Editor, info-commons.org editor at info-commons.org
Thu Aug 14 04:58:31 PDT 2003

According to an email I received Aug. 8 from John Steins, the artist who made the litho-prints and offered them on e-Bay, he was contacted that day by a company representative who said he was free to offer the prints on e-Bay if he chose, but they asked him to confine his political views to the "About Me" section of the site, rather than placing them directly in listings.

http://www.info-commons.org/blog/archives/000093.html

Seeing as Steins reported he had experienced great difficulty in getting human contact with e-Bay prior to that time, it would appear that heading off negative media could have been the reason for e-Bay's offer to Steins. The artist did not indicate to me that he planned to sell the cards on e-Bay again (they are available on his site), though he saw the company's decision as a victory for himself.

The initial move by e-Bay may have been a result of pro-war sentiment, or it may have been a company trying to get rid of a listing that was causing them problems because it was generating lots of complaints. I don't see either of these as acceptable. But given the company's offer to Steins, unless and until Steins tries to post another listing and we see the response, there is no strong evidence of ongoing censorship.

Or has somebody heard something more?

Frederick Emrich

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 11:44 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Fwd: Axis of Weasels