[lbo-talk] Servant culture

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Aug 14 12:09:54 PDT 2003

From: Doug Henwood

The last thing I want to do is reverse the gains of feminism. It's one of the most successful social/political movements of all time, and thanks for that. ^^^^ CB: I know you well enough to know you are a feminist. Sorry for any implication otherwise. I think in her response to this post, Yoshie spells out her point. Individuals like Bergmann should be criticized for failure to integrate their feminsim with working class and oppressed race struggles, but such criticism should make clear that the social changes won by feminism are not the proximate/culpable causes for new oppressive dynamics.

^^^^^^^

An angle that Ehrenreich highlights is that nannies and housekeepers are forms that imperialism take in everyday life. Their badly paid labor has replaced some of the unpaid labor by middle- and upper-income women. Bourgeois feminists like Bergmann don't like to talk about that (becuase they're bourgeois, not because they're feminists, of course).

Doug