[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on Ted Honderich

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 13:05:45 PDT 2003

I ahven't read it, but I know Hondorich's work in general. His political work in somewhat abstract and idiosyncratic, very tough-minded defenses of unpopular positions. He tends to work from mid-range moral intuitiosn (i.e., things we want to say about particular case)(rather than first principles such as Maximize Happiness); he has some historical sensitivity, but he's basically a philosophical creature. He wrote a book long ago defending violence in thestruggle for equality, argued that exploitation and oppression is or causes violence, and there's no moral difference between not doing anything to stop it and actually exploting and oppressing people. He wrote a funny and bitter attack on Thatcherite conservatism.

In a more strict philosophical vein, he has written a long defense of hard determinism, denying the existence of moral responsibility. I would say the chances that he is an antisemite are less than zero. But he probably thinks that it is OK for Palestinians to make the Israeli occupation intolerable by blowing up children on buses. jks