[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on Ted Honderich

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 17:13:00 PDT 2003

I am not defending, just reporting. I note that you think it's OK for the govt to blow up Afghan children to supposedly reduce the the threat of terrorism. It is a common case of double standards. Govts with armies, especially our govt, can burn people alive, blow them to smithereens, machine gun wedding parties, and the like. That is just collateral damage. But members of weak groups that have not established states which can afford cruise missiles and attack helicopters, if they kill children and old people to further their aims, are totally reprehensible and have to be smashed with cruise missles and attack helicopters. So you have no basis for sanctimoniousness. You just care about different groups than Honderich. He cares about the weak and powerless, you about the citizens of wealthy nations and their clients.

Double standards aside, Hondo's argument that Palestinean terrorism might an effectivw way to promote equality might be wrong, but on your own terms -- in principle -- you have no basis that is not empirical to object to it. If it promotes the general welfare to blow yourself and a bus full of commuters to bits, you must regard it as an obligatory act -- one that commends it, in fact, to yourself.

jks