[lbo-talk] India asks Myanmar to free Suu Kyi

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Aug 14 19:17:55 PDT 2003

HindustanTimes.com

Monday, August 11, 2003

India asks Myanmar to free pro-democracy leader Suu Kyi

Associated Press New Delhi, August 11

Asking Myanmar to take steps towards democracy, India on Monday reiterated its call for the release of Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

"Our policy remains that national reconciliation should be carried forward as should the movement toward democracy," External Affairs Ministry spokesman Navtej Sarna said.

"We have called for early release of Suu Kyi, who has been recognized by the world as the leader of the democratic movement," Sarna added. Nobel laureate Suu Kyi was arrested by the Myanmar military junta on May 30, following violent clashes in the northern parts of the country.

The military government has refused to free Suu Kyi or give a time frame for her release despite international pressure, including from the United Nations and regional allies such as Malaysia.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2003. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without prior permission