[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on Ted Honderich

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Aug 15 14:47:04 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> 1. You know this how? I could, with as far as I
> know an equal knowledge base, pronounce, they
> are expression of desperation and rage by people
> so oppressed and ground down that they feel that
> life is not worth living, and who seek to daamge
> their prerceived oppressors any way they can.

Because of who they kill and where. Deeds speak volumes; tactics betray a great deal about aims. Previously, you've said it's because of unexamined assumptions that I read this as such, but they intentionally kill Israeli civilians within Israel, not just in Gaza and the West Bank.

How is that *not* collective punishment? How can this be reconciled with acceptance of Israeli's right to live *anywhere at all* between Jordan and the sea?

The ANC didn't use wholesale slaughter of civilians to end apartheid. Such a response is not a given, not a natural outgrowth of the situation.

Putting suicide bombers in the context of "desperation and rage" obscures more than it explains.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!