[lbo-talk] Re:lbo-talk] Power blackout in US

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 03:43:02 PDT 2003

Dorene, I have a couple minutes more than I had thought, so I will make a brief comment. This puts me at limit, I think.

> > [Chubays] This does not have precedents as far as the duration is
> > concerned. The inter-system accidents which took place here, both in
>Soviet
> > times and later in Russia, were normally to do with losing power if not
>for
> > minutes then for an hour or an hour and half. Practically never longer.
> >
>Practically never longer? How do you count those regular interruptions?

I am far, far from knowing a lot about UES' electricity infrastructure. I do know however that every time I have ever heard of a power outage, UES has switched off the juice because of nonpayment (including to military installations!). This is one reason Chubais, or the "energy gangster" as Zyuganov calls him, is so hated.

>Way to go. Saying it cannot happen before the cause has been clearly
>identified in the west.

Chubais knows everything, didn't you know? His ego is the size of Kamchatka.

>Does anyone have comparator data from around the world? I think in good
>swatches of the world 7X24 electrical power is NOT the norm. I am curious
>how
>regular supply interruptions correlate with level of investment in
>transmission
>capacity, regulatory environment, digital vs mainly manual monitoring and
>switching.

I know that in the Russian Far East and in the Caucasian republics at least, they have regular blackouts. There was a very embarrassing event at a Georgia-Russia soccer match in Tbilisi, attended by both Putin and Shevardnadze, in which the lights went out. (Extremely embarrassing for the latter, who has been trying to reduce Russian influence over Georgia's energy system. Russia subsidizes Georgia's electrical grid.)

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail