[lbo-talk] Rejectionists and Thugs (Was Cockburn on Hondorich)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 07:35:28 PDT 2003

I'm not sure of your point. Unlike Luke, I don't accept the potential legitimacy of suicide bombings directed againmst civiloian targets even conditionally; I don't think they would be acceptable even if they were aimed at an acceptable end or had the unintended effect of furtherinmg an accep[table end. I also doubt taht it makes much moral difference if they are aimed at an unacceptable end. Yous eem to think that matters a lot, I don't actually care that much. But we agree that it's not OK to kill innocent civilians by suicide bombing or other means, whatever your ends are. I do think it is quite crucual tahgt we understand the desperation that drives people to this tactic and to adopt the ends that they have, if they have them, otherwise we shall never be able to repair the damage. That dfoes not vindicate or jutify the terror, any more than Israeli fear of being swept into the sea justifies shooting children who throw rocks, rocketing houses without regard to civilina inhabitants, "retaliation" raids with F16s, Sabra and Shatilla. jks