[lbo-talk] bustamante

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 17:24:02 PDT 2003

true. this scenario could happen. at the moment, the republican party, dominated by right wingers, is having difficulty relating to arnold. arnold is quite wise to have avoided a republican primary situation where, like former LA mayor reardon during the last gubernatorial primary, he could easily have gone down to defeat to a "conservative" unless he moved very far right.

the republican party could, at the last moment, decide AS is better than the alternative and swing it's weight behind him. that's easier said than done. already we have republicans critisicing AS strongly for appearing too liberal.

since the democrats are such a collection of screwups, i guess we'll simply have to wait and see if bustamante has the ability to carry the day. despite the ridiculous democratic party pressure to keep other democrats out of the race, bustamante may wind up saving the party's bacon while davis continues to sound like a black comedian doing his white man impression.

----- Original Message ----- From: Luke Benjamin Weiger To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 5:00 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] bustamante

R wrote:

> as you may know, luke, the winner of the election would be decided by
simple
> majority.

Yes, I was aware of that.

> unless these voters unite behind a particular candidate,

That's one of my fears. Another is that the Republican party might put tremendous pressure on everyone but Arnold to either drop out of the race or to throw their support to him at the last minute.

-- Luke