[lbo-talk] Give Up

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 18:37:52 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: andie nachgeborenen To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 12:34 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Give Up

>A very small percentage of us are corporate piranas. I
>am one. Of course I also defend poor clients in
>criminal cases. Most lawyers are snmall businesspeople
>do low lervel transactional work (writing contracts
>and the like). Of course we are all scum who lie for
>money. Ah well. Maybe one of my brethern/sistern took
>R to the cleaners in a divorce.

are my ears burning or what. and i almost missed this reference to my humble self when i started to skip AN's uninteresting, thankfully brief, autobiographical statement.

i enjoyed reading the customary maladroit attempt at misdirection found in the fatuous statement "of course we [lawyers] are all scum who lie for money." AN you do this silly stuff all the time. a lame attempt to take attention from those lawyers who do lie for money by implying anyone who mentions such malfeasance exists in the legal profession (and who isn't a lawyer) is falsely characterizing the entire legal profession. this technique is called "splitting" in psychiatric circles: one element is all good [usually the person doing the splitting], the other all bad, when the truth, as always, lies somewhere between.

those critical of the extensive abuses perpetrated by the legal profession, chronically unable to police itself, are not monolithic. are not all lawyer haters. and are not all stupid. but that's the way AN characterizes them in his self-serving, illogical, unreasonable, redundant way.

as everyone knows, in california where i live it's very easy to do one's own divorce. this drives the lawyers crazy -- all that easy money walking out the window, or better yet, never arriving. the only time lawyers are used is when there's a very vindictive party, or parties, involved -- when much of the quibbling centers on such legally significant issues as who gets what towels, who's the evil one in the relationship, how much punishment the evil one should suffer, who pays the legal fees, etc. lawyers, generally, flock to such adversarial and money making opportunities like flies to shit. but usually prefer doing so only when one or both of the parties is well healed, or business is slow; it's the old legal deep pockets theory in action. since i'm not well healed, and am bless with positive relationships with women, i've never attracted such attention from the flies.

but more importantly, i've been married to the same lovely lady for over 34 years. no divorce lies in our future. her first husband was lawyer, though. an innocuous, overworked pencil pusher, with big dreams in his younger days. a drunk, too, although the two -- lawyer and drunk -- aren't always related, anymore than is the now and then mistaken belief that all lawyers are trying to be reformed cocaine addicts; or that they're all in psychotherapy because they can't stand themselves or their profession but lack the character and courage to try something else.

AN, i'm glad you qualified your bogus statement about me with "maybe." otherwise you'd look an even bigger dissembler than you are. i love it when you talk dirty.