[lbo-talk] Re: Alexander Cockburn

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Aug 17 23:07:33 PDT 2003

Michael concludes:

"But the political objection is probably sufficient in itself. You can make any objections you want against Israel, including the strongest ones, without ever using the word race, and they will be more effective."

Unfortunately the word "racism" describes a lot of what has taken place better than many others. I do not think that the Zionists would be as likely to use the word "cockroach" to describe a European/Christian as they are to use it to describe an Arab. I think a lot of Americans perceive the Israeli/Arab conflict to be one between Honorary Whites and Sand N-words. And I think that's another reason why they support Israel...because there's a lot of racism in the U.S.A. too.

So, no, I think the R word needs to be used because it is at the root of a lot of the emotional/psychic American support and identification with Israel. Do you think it is simply a coincidence that one of the strongest Zionist parties is South African? Do you think the bantustan solution to the demand for a Palestinian state is also coincidental?

Joanna