[lbo-talk] Re: Alex Cockburn

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 18 05:05:37 PDT 2003

On 17 Aug 2003 23:24:45 -0400, Jonathan Ruby <Jon.Ruby2 at verizon.net> wrote:

>> I'd like to know one thing: if I, "like everyone else," was hanging from
>> a gallows, who'd be the hangman? Who'd be volunteering to affix the
>> rope, set the knot, and yank the lever?
>
> Well, I'm sure that a man such as yourself, whose commitment to moral
> virtue is so deep that 3000 years changes nothing in his sight, can be
> trusted to do the job himself.

Where the _hell_ did you get this "3000 years changes nothing in my sight" business? I've pointed out that the Middle East seems to be the one region of the world where people still hold grudges over events of 3000 years ago. Not something I endorse at all.

I also asked about how long one could reasonably hold such grudges beofre they became ridiculous. You replied, with the absolute moral certaity of the true fanatic, that "if there were no time limit on the crime of genocide and if its guilt was collective and eternal you would not be writing to us; you, like everyone else, would be hanging from a gallows." So I asked: exactly who the fuck are _you_ to say that anyone else should be hanging from a gallows?

Look, kiddo, you're obviously trying to find a fight here, and I suspect you're one of those cranks who'se looking for anti-Semites in every woodpile. Have fun.