[lbo-talk] Politics or the environment; whats more critical?

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 14:25:58 PDT 2003

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote: It seems to me that as we debate, vote (or not)agitate, counter-propagandize and work in various ways to address issues of corporatism, inequality, racism and so much more that there is an immense problem looming over all of this:

global warming. . . .[snip] . . . All struggles for greater economic and political democracy are necessary efforts but I wonder if, as we work on each of these individual fights, we should spare some collective energy for the massive effort it will take to change our way of life. _____________________________

Is global warming separable from the issues of corporatism et al.? Are we going to talk Halliburton into not going after energy profits because of global warming? I think our odds are better if we just keep working on the cause -- greater economic and political democracy.

And I agree that global warming is starting to have serious effects that are probably not reversible in the immediate future (defrosting of the Alaskan tundra and the European Alps, for example). That'll probably change weather patterns, with consequences for people who live in areas that become increasingly vulnerable to drought, storms or other weather conditions that weren't frequent when they started living there. This makes the fight for economic and political democracy even more important -- the powerless are going to pay the costs of global warming, so let's work on getting some power for when we need it.

-- Gail, wishing August would get cooler