[lbo-talk] Call interception

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Aug 18 18:23:34 PDT 2003

A week or so ago we were talking about how to foil telemarketers and I suggested that you could eliminate them entirely by just screening your calls. But I know some people are uncomfortable making their friends announce themselves, and I just accidentally ran into a technical solution, a more subtle and refined version of call screening called "call interception." What happens is you enter the numbers of all your friends, and they get through as if nothing had changed. But any number that isn't on your list gets a message telling them: "You have reached a phone with call interception. This service only lets calls through from an approved list of numbers. If you want to proceed, please announce your name and hit the pound sign." It then pipes in some music while they wait. The end result is that any friends you left off the list will only go through this once, but telemarketers will never get through.

I just thought I'd pass it on. For me, call screening has always worked perfectly and all my friends adapted years ago. But for people who feel funny about it (and really hate telemarketers) this might be a good option. It's offered by my local baby ball (Verizon) and probably by others as well.

Michael