[lbo-talk] blackouts and deregulation

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 09:47:16 PDT 2003

> I, for
> one, am a big fan of
> "insane" fare structures if it means that in the
> ensuing chaos there are
> full planes of leisure travellers on deeply
> discounted tickets.

Yes, but isn't it actually those with formidable resources - particularly time and forgiving work schedules/structures - who are able to secure these prices? If a relative were to suddenly take ill in New York and I were to have to fly there ex-Chicago, the fare would be outrageous.

It's also consistently and significantly cheaper to fly LHR-JFK than JFK-LHR. I've never seen a convincing accounting for this.