[lbo-talk] Re: No, it's not anti-semitic

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Aug 19 10:02:48 PDT 2003

I find it hard to believe this was written by the same person who wrote _Gender Trouble_. This is crystal clear. Has she written anything else in this style? Michael

I had exactly the same shock. Judith Butler? Is this the same Judith Butler of Psychic Lives of Power, winner of the worst writer of the year award for most of the 90s?

Just to prove to myself it really was Butler under all that clarity, I edited a paragraph for fun, chopping about three lines worth with no loss. The excess was of the `possibilities foreclosed in advance' kind of redundancy. The Butler of old was still there hidden so to speak in the profusions and flourishes.

I was also struck by her adroit and sharp use of deconstruction as an rhetorical tool to dissect the opposition. How retro is that?

Chuck Grimes