[lbo-talk] blackouts and deregulation

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Aug 19 11:55:25 PDT 2003

>> I, for one, am a big fan of "insane" fare
>> structures if it means that in the ensuing
>> chaos there are full planes of leisure
>> travellers on deeply discounted tickets.
>
> Yes, but isn't it actually those with formidable
> resources - particularly time and forgiving work
> schedules/structures - who are able to secure these
> prices?

I can't tell you what the demographic is of cheap flights, but I do fly a lot and I see LOTS of people off on weekend jaunts "taking advantage" of things like Priceline and last-minute web fares. About the only time in the last year where the cabin I was in was dominated by business types was when the cabin was appreciably empty.

> If a relative were to suddenly take ill in New
> York and I were to have to fly there ex-Chicago, the
> fare would be outrageous.

I doubt it.

I just took a quick look on orbitz.com for one-way flights (notoriously "high-end") tomorrow morning, here's what I found:

- Continental will fly you from Midway to Newark for $151 - ATA will do it for $156 to either Newark or LaGuardia - American will even do it from Midway to LaGuardia for $188

Two hours later, you'd be in NYC; these are all non-stop flights.

I could join you from Oakland to JFK on JetBlue for $244.

If you want to leave tonight at 7pm, Amtrak can get you to Penn Station by 1:50pm tomorrow for $133 ...

/jordan