[lbo-talk] contract/lease law

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 18:41:40 PDT 2003

This isn't legal advice. I am probably not licensed to practice in your state anyway, and I don't know what state you are in. So if you feel that you need legal advice you should consult with a lawyer in your state who does landlord-tenant law. All that said, taking the situation as a hypothetical, as a matter of general contract law in every state of which I am aware, in the ordinary case, the text of the lease contract trumps. If the contractual language is clear, and there was no fraud involved in inducing a party to enter the contract, that's the end of the story. The courts will enforce the contract as written, and that's the end of it. The landlord in the hypothetical is entitled to charge the cat-owning ex-tenant of "for defleaing, deodorizing, and shampooing." The lease does not require him to do something that might be cheaper even if he did it. The charges, in the contract law of most states, must be "reasonable." That is, if the landlord charged the tenant $10,000 for cleaning, the tenant would have a case. But if $250 is what is reasonable (within the normal range of costs) for cleaning a carpet of that size, then the landlord can normally charge it. My guess is that the tenant is probably out of luck. If you want to seek further, talk to a lawyer in your own state. There may be a Tenant's Union or Association that may provide free or cheap legal aid; the Bar Association may also providea brief free consultation.