[lbo-talk] Ehrenreich responds to BDL

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 20 08:05:40 PDT 2003

> Well, I think she meant it as a hybrid joke/insult, not a serious
> policy proposal.
>
> Doug

As a matter of fact, I liked her book very much, mainly for exposing the other side of the low-wage-low-living-standards equilibrium - the unavailability of affordable housing and transportation.

What I did not like was her taking cheap shots at the yuppie life styles - but that is hardly unique to Ehrenreich - it is the general tenor of the Left, which I hear time again in debates on urban renewal, service economy or labor issues. Denouncing yuppie life styles by many leftists seems disingenuous. Denouncing an entire socio-economic group (defined by their education and income level) belongs to the same genre as the old fashioned prejudice against Blacks, Irish, Italians, Jews or Poles, yet the later is strictly verboten.

Bashing a broadly defined group of people is unacceptable under any circumstances, but in this particular circumstances it is also very myopic. Yuppie incomes can, after all, contribute to the shrinking urban tax base or create decent service jobs, which the culturalist/moralist take misses altogether.

Wojtek