[lbo-talk] Ehrenreich responds to BDL

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Thu Aug 21 12:15:38 PDT 2003

At 03:31 AM 8/21/03 -0400, Michael Pollak scribbled:

>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> > The problem is not with what the yuppie pays, but with what the
> service
> > worker gets. The yuppie may pay around $20/hr (not a bad wage),
> but the
> > worker who delivers the service will get $6.75/hr.
>
>This is also IMHO the main problem with Ehrenreich's argument: it's
>unrepresentative.

how could you possibly know? it's one of the most difficult occupations to study because much of it is done on the gray market.

aside from that, your response illustrates exactly Ehrenreich's point as to why _feminists_ shouldn't hire domestics. You've taken on the position of "benevolent boss". That isn't exactly the best position to be in if you want to foster feminist solidarity. brad's response, likewise. the point is, don't mask your decision with some notion that your giving them some sort of "gift" by employing them. excuse me? brad delong's consistent statements are that capitalism is a kind of "gift" to developing countries. his arguments are consistent. for the rest, who denounce such claims, ask yourself how you would feel if your employer went to the pay negotiation table believing that you should be grateful to have a job at all, rather than realizing he _needs_ you.

if it really would take you two days what it takes her to do in 2 hours, then I'd say that you got your labor at an incredibly cheap price. if your labor is also worth 20/hr, then let's say it would take you two, 6 hr days. That's $240 worth of your labor for which you paid her $40. Not bad, not bad at all. This is akin to a kind leisure capitalism, no?

If it really is an indispensable service--say, like plumbing or electrical work--then why pay her merely what you make? Why not pay her more than what you make which is presumably what you'd do were you to hire a plumber or an electrician. That's what I tell my boss. Say, if no one could do it quite like me, dude, then why not $100/hr? eh?

(this is what will irk any feminist with a familiarity with the housework debates of the 60s and 70s. this is the exact reasoning that is used for relegating "women's work" to women: they have a special niche, we just can't do it as well as y'all can. what can we say? As Chip said once, to paraphrase, "Here's a mop. Stop yapping and learn how to do it." (I don't even want to get into the complexities of what workers tell you to your face and what they think behind your back. But jess because dat maid be whistlin' while she work don't mean that she sho'nuf ain't wishin' she was doin' sumpin' es wid her life. NOTE: please see Global Woman, where the author, a prominent feminist, notes that she believed she was a good employer. Until she found out otherwise from interviews with her maid. She also thought her domestic was happy in her work, until she found out otherwise. As was the case with most of the research in that book.)

second, she probably doesn't make the same benefits that you make, nor does she make the same wages you make. do you pay employment taxes? social security? etc. If she'd rather not get busted, she's a contractor and she's paying that out herself. Now her clearance is more like $12/hr.

further, you get paid for 8 hrs each day. She gets paid by the jobs she can rack up. She can probably cram 7 hours of straight labor into a day, since she has to travel from site to site and doesn't get paid for doing that. which means she's making $140/day, not $160. And it's probably more likely that she's make less than that.

third, when my boss tries to tell me that i should be grateful for the fact that i have flexible hours, that i can skip work for the kid and just make it up when I feel like it, I'm not freakin' amused, especially if he's implying that I don't deserve a raise or deserve less than i'm asking for or that i should be willing to suck it up and "give" for the company so i can make out later when we "make it" big.

It irks me to no end that he and other employers do this. No, sorry, allowing me flex time isn't a fucking gift since you still expect me to get the work done at some point. The nature of the work is different from that of a factory line? So the FUCK what. The nature of the employer/employee relationship doesn't change and that is this: you get the same amount of work out of me whether i take time off or not. Same thing with your maid. It's not like you paid her for a sick day in which she gets paid anyway, which would be a _real_ damn benefit, probably one you actually receive.

so, your wages aren't comparable at all.

remember: ehrenreich really doesn't give a bat's eyelash what you and other non-feminist leftists do. she does care about what feminists who spend their lives working on feminist issues do.

kelley