[lbo-talk] contract/lease law

Miike Quenling Ellis flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 19:04:10 PDT 2003

--- Kelley <the-squeeze at pulpculture.org> wrote:

> WARNING: snit bitch-0-rama ahead:
>
> landlord's rationale: the replacement charge for the carpet is
> considerably higher. $250 for "cleaning" wouldn't be considered
> unreasonable. the reason why he replaced it is that, after three years,
> cleaning the damaged area will just look like crap and make it harder
> to rent the place, presumably.

replaceing the carpet might be slightly higher.... but the carpet wasn't damaged beyond normal wear and tear. just a few stains, and a few ciggarette burns in just one room. more over the carpet in the apartment was the 'last' of the 'old' carpet. meaning he got a new kind of carpet and was in the process of changing all the 'old' carpet in all the apartments. He got 3 extra years out of the last of the 'old' carpet. my apartment was the last one with the 'old' carpet. this is the way buildings usually work....they buy a bunch of 1 kind of carpet at one time...it's much cheaper. meaning unless my carpet was completely spotless (highly improbable since it was off white color) he would have changed it anyway. see see see!!! he couldn't charge me shit for replacing the carpet.

just as a tip: carpet sucks anyway but if you move into a place and they are in the process of changing the carpet.....and they say they are going to put in new carpet say you prefer the old carpet, unless it's really really nasty....... infact demand it....it's much cheaper and you can always cover it with a rug. you can even get away with never cleaning it.

> Animals in an apartment can considerably
> smell up the joint. Esp. true for someone who is not used to them or
> for someone who is allergic. Cleaning a carpet--getting the dander
> out--isn't a matter of calling on the local fly-by-night carpet
> cleaning service that charges $100 for three rooms/750 sf. Our new
> neighbors looked into getting the dog smell out of their rental house.
> It was going to cost _more_ than installing a new el cheapo berber.

ugh!!! getting the dander out of the carpet is easy if you rip up the carpet and throw it in a dumpster. sure it was going to cost more...he was going to be changing it anyway. chargeing me to clean it is like free money....for absolutely nothing. true one could argue the cleaning was neccesary by removing pet dander etc.from everything else. BESIDES the carpet. 250$?....for the kitchen and bathroom? no! besides he charged me 344$ to clean everything else anyway. i even had those 3M Ultra allergen filters in my AC and ran it like that for all summer. 80$ for 3 bad ass filters. there was not 1 particle in the air above .01 microns or what ever.

> You could have done what I did: clean the hell out of the place with my
> own and my son's labor power. There wasn't a fleck of spaghetti sauce
> on the kitchen ceiling (I luuuuuuuuurv kids) or piece of lint on the
> carpet.

...that's exactly what i did. the only thing i didn't do was video tape everything with a time date on it. or keep my reciepts for everything.

~M.E.