[lbo-talk] Intellectuals: The Leo-conservatives -

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Aug 22 06:36:01 PDT 2003

As a one-time philosophy student, I would say that the logical positivists did in fact have much more influence on *professional philosophers* than either Marcuse or Strauss, but not much in the general public, except indirectly via their notion of scientific method, as Andie pointed out. OTOH, said professional philosophers eventually discarded their concept of scientific method as way too unsophisticated to account even for the physical sciences. If the social scientists adopted positivist ideas and stuck with them, it was only because they weren't very philosophically sophisticated.

If you are talking about influence in the general public, I agree that Marcuse beat all of them (in the '60s and '70s, anyway), but M. Scott Peck swamped him, I'm sure. And the authors of that "Left Behind" series (what were their names?) are still the champs, by far. :-)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx