[lbo-talk] Savage update

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 22 07:56:07 PDT 2003

New York Post [Page Six] - August 22, 2003

DON'T CALL US

MICHAEL Savage is delusional. "Fox would hire me in a minute," the right-wing ranter tells Jake Tapper in the September issue of GQ. "And believe it or not, CNN would, too." Savage was fired from MSNBC for telling a gay caller to "get AIDS and die." A Fox News Channel spokesman told GQ, "Not a chance would we ever be interested in him." CNN won't touch him, either: "[We] had not pursued nor are we pursuing Mr. Savage. And we have no interest in him." Tapper also reports that anchor Tom Brokaw had expressed concerns to NBC executives about hiring Savage, given his history of offensive commentary. For example, while discussing high school programs to feed the homeless, Savage, who now has a show on WOR Radio, suggested female student volunteers "go in and maybe get raped . . . because they seem to like the excitement of it. There's always the thrill and possibility they'll be raped in a Dumpster while giving out a turkey sandwich."