[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Aug 22 08:31:33 PDT 2003

Budge:
> You missed Daddy Clinton's push for school uniforms in the
> public schools? I think there were even federal carrots to
> encourage it? Around here it seems to have caught on at
> some of the inner city PS's, but not in the 'burbs. Jerry
> Brown is a big fan of them too (but then I think he's a
> closet fascist...)

It seems to me that you never had kids in school and had to spend hundreds of dollars every few months for the "uniforms" pushed on kids by the marketers. Kids who do not wear those "hip" $50 per garment clothes are often ridiculed and ostracized by their peers. I was lucky that my own kid was an urban punk, but for my wife it is a constant struggle.

School uniforms are a much preferred alternative to the products of sweatshop-exploiting garment pushers. Not to mention the fact that they would give a chance to low income families who simply cannot afford spending $25 on a T-shirt with somebody's name printed on it.

Wojtek