[lbo-talk] torching hummers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 22 10:25:31 PDT 2003

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2424844/detail.html

Arson At Hummer Dealership May Be Ecoterrorism

Showroom, Dozens Of Vehicles Destroyed

WEST COVINA, Calif. -- Fire raged through a Hummer dealership in the Los Angeles area Friday morning, and graffiti spray-painted on many of the damaged vehicles indicate that the fire was set intentionally.

The fire broke out at Clippenger Chevrolet at 1900 E. Garvey Ave., just south of the Interstate 10 freeway in West Covina. By the time firefighters arrived, the dealership showroom was engulfed in flames and dozens of expensive sport utility vehicles were burning in the outside lot.

Firefighters had the blaze largely under control by about 6:30 a.m. There was no immediate estimate of the damage.

Chief Richard Greene of the West Covina Fire Department told NBC that he believed the fires were deliberately set because there were multiple fires.

Greene reported that there were no injuries, but at one point firefighters did have to evacuate people from near to the building.

"We have approximately 50 firefighters from LA County and West Covina," Greene said.

Video from the helicopter of NBC 7/39's sister station in Los Angeles showed "I love pollution" painted on the hood of one Hummer and "Fat lazy Americans" sprayed on the side of another. One vehicle had the letters "ELF" sprayed on a door.

"We've asked for federal assistance from (the) FBI and ATF on the investigation of the fire," Greene said.

On Aug. 1, a banner was found at an arson that destroyed a large apartment project in San Diego. The banner said, "If you build it, we will burn it. ELF."

Investigators believe that ELF stands for Earth Liberation Front. The group describes itself on its Web site as an international underground movement that carries out actions against groups they believe are exploiting and destroying the environment. The group claims their cells have carried dozens of eco-attacks since 1997, resulting in more than $50 million in damage.