[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 12:32:30 PDT 2003

--- Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, mike larkin wrote:
>
> > Dress codes that accomomodate individuality are
> one
> > thing, and a fine way to curb all that sexy
> 11-year
> > old Lolita stuff. But uniforms? If you're a
> Maoist!
>
> Go to a mall and look at the clusters of 13 year
> olds and
> what they're wearing. Can you say with a straight
> face
> they're expressing their unique individuality?
> Bullshit.
> As Wojtek emphasizes, it's a
> corporate-garment-industry
> mandated uniform enforced by incessant ads and peer
> pressure.
>
> School uniforms stifle "individuality" no more (or
> less)
> than current corporate standards for teen clothing
> do. (Buying
> corporate brands to "fit in" is not the unique
> expression
> of a person's individuality!)
>
> Miles

Yes, I do think they're expressing their individuality--to the best of their ability under consumer capitalist contraints. Would you prefer that they all be standing around wearing white shirts and blazers? If you can choose a red shirt or a blue shirt instead of simply being forced to wear a white shirt, you are expressing some degree of individuality.

If you think there is no difference between Catholic school uniformity and corporate standards of fashion, drive by a Catholic school when all the kids are standing around in their uniforms waiting for the bus. It's the most soul-crushing sight you'll see.