[lbo-talk] Re:school uniforms

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Fri Aug 22 17:14:48 PDT 2003

"...I went to Catholic school, and uniforms are oppressive, just a total snuffing of creativity. I've heard of studies where Catholic school graduates, however successful, are much less creative than public schoolers...

give me a break...schools, and not just catholic schools, are oppressive....if uniforms stifle creativity (?), does that mean all the uncreative people in the world wore uniforms in school? other than the daily uniforms of suit and tie, or jeans and tee shirt, or whatever market-force fashion "individuality" and "creative expression" dictate?

this anti-uniform thing is mostly limited to middle and upper middle class people who can afford the marketplace expenditures of hundreds of dollars worth of stylistic crap with which to adorn their future leaders, and who don't have to worry about their kids getting the shit beat out of them for wearing the wrong gang colors...

people can learn to express individuality and creativity, with or without a school dress code, but maybe more easily in a society that does not accept such lame crap about clothes making the man - or woman...we are what we eat, but it is ridiculous to think that we are what we wear...healthy meals are more important to a growing child than fashionable outfits, purchased and worn supposedly representing creativity that only people who can afford them seem to be creative enough to buy...

and any study (?)that shows more or less creatvity on the part of wearers of school uniforms is about as believable as a study that shows creatvity depends on your race, relgion or ethnic group ....barf

fs