[lbo-talk] Art is Dead

Miike Quenling Ellis flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 19:20:17 PDT 2003

--- Brian Siano <siano at mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/17/arts/design/17VIEN.html
>

> [...]
>
> Yada, yada, yada. I've seen this work of Byrne's show up in a lot of
> places, like Wired, and the NY Times, and I can't understand what the
> fuss is all about. It looks like the usual sort of non-sequitur
> combinations of mundane pictures and objects and words, not much beyond
> Barbara Kruger's hackwork. Only here's Certified artist David Byrne, and
>
> he's using Powerpoint! How _witty_!

i fear 99.99999% of all internet or computer art is like that. bad computer art gets alot of funding and it all ends up very promotional....like on the level of a software demo. hopefully this thing will all blow over and folk wiil get bored with trying to exploit all the wonderful features of interactive television etc. it would have calmed down already but all that flash junk came up.....gotta exploit it's wonderful features...this could actually be a never ending thing. it is goofy...i spent a long time downloading a music program once and ended up with a very complicated computer version of an analog synthesizer...it'd take 2 hrs to get a sine wave sound that wobbled.

i don't know what that means

~M.E.