[lbo-talk] Re: Art is Dead

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Aug 22 21:20:47 PDT 2003

Not at all. Lots of great film/video stuff is being produced all across the world, and the videogame culture is in one of its boom phases. -- DRR ----------

The operative but missing adjective was `traditional', as in traditional visual arts, i.e. painting, drawing, printmaking, etc. I assumed that would be evident in context. On the other hand, I am not sure I consider film-video as art forms in quite the same way. Film on the one hand is nothing if it isn't epic public art, like murals or theater where as video and video games in particular seem to fall into something like printmaking and maybe illuminated manuscripts as a category, that is predominately for a restricted form of ownership, possession, distribution----fellow acolytes.

Admittedly these are artificial categories. However, these divisions seem to retain some meaning at least in terms of physical scale, the relationship between the art and its audience and the means of production. Consider the repressive religious overseers of the hand production of manuscripts. Don't they seem to share a certain back-orifice similitude to the vicious little petty producers of gaming software, cracking the whip over a sea of cubical drones animating the scenes in 3-d wire frames?

Ever visit one of these graphic arts studios? They look, feel, and seem like Mac-Sweat shops: immigrant labor doing piece work, huddling over their machines in fevered activity. Sure a few principle designers can make tons, but the drones are doing less well. One place I went to would pay by the wire frame. They gave you the video capture and you composed the wire frame in some program from Macromedia. This was awhile ago, so maybe that part is already automated. Not what you call soul liberating work.

Chuck