[lbo-talk] Re: Eurasianism

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 23 08:19:31 PDT 2003

>From: "Chris Doss"
>
> > I note the author describes a movement as "nationalist" which does not
> > appear anywhere in the text to be nationalist, apparently not noticing
>the
> > difference between a nation and a continent:
>
>But nations and nationalisms are continually being invented. A multi-ethnic
>continent can be a nation. I live in one such case. Another example is what
>I would describe as the emerging "EU-nationalism".

I would say "EU-Nationalism" is an inprovement on French nationalism or German nationalism, say -- it's several orders more inclusive. In a similar way, Eurasianiam is a big improvement on Russian nationalism, not to mention Ukrainian nationalism (barf). I think its existence and flouishing is a healthy sign; that the nationalisms of the former Soviet Block (which led to several bloody civil wars in the 90s', remember?) are melting away.

No Russian nationalist organization would ever have muftis on its board, let alone Jews (which the Eurasia Party does).

>And for what its worth I think virtually all nationalisms suck -- IMO they
>serve mainly as vehicles for accumulation and the displining of labour.

It depends on the situation, I would say. Dmitry Glinsky makes a good case that "ex-Soviet" nationalism has more in common with the nationalisms that characterize Third World resistance movements (not that such a nationalism is necessarily a good thing).

In any case, any kind of "progressive" political movement will inevitably come out of the lite-nationalist movement. Non-nationalist leftists simply don't exist in Russia, with a few very small exceptions.

_________________________________________________________________ Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963