[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 23 10:05:13 PDT 2003

Eubulides wrote:

> God has written.

Ah come on. Give an argument. I really don't understand the concept of "expressing one's individuality." What does it mean? What is an "individuality," and how can it be expressed? I wouldn't even know how to begin to answer either of these questions. Doug's silly bit of chatter sent me back to my dissertation to look for a phrase. The dissertation as a whole is even worse than I had remembered, but I would still stick to a parenthetical remark in it: "(we are more interested in a critic's rightness than in his newness)."

Why is it necessary to be different to be "individual"? Why are two people dressed alike less human, less "real people," than two people dressed differently? This whole discussion belongs in a bad freshman-comp paper.

Carrol