[lbo-talk] school uniforms

Jose Rodriguez & Sally Everson pepor at caribe.net
Sat Aug 23 14:57:29 PDT 2003

I'm not so sure that school uniforms force kids to group themselves on things other than what they wear or how they present themselves in school. But I think its cheaper and easier on parents. Here in Puerto Rico (as elsewhere in the Caribbean) all kids wear uniforms to school - private or public - and while there seems to me to be a less intense ostracism or "classism" based on clothing - its still there. Some uniforms made at home or those made with cheaper material may be looked down upon for one thing, then there are accesories - shoes, belts, backbacks, you name it, the list is endless. ANd yes in some schools the kids are ruthless when a child doesn't have the right kind of bag or the "good" material for the uniform, or shoes or sneakers or belt or whatever. But compared to my experience in US public schools growing up during the 1970s- 80s it seems a better climate in general for my own kids. It definitely depends on the school - upper middle class and elite schools are said to be the worst. And certainly kids might envy the one with the coolest (and most expensive) backpack but I haven't heard anyone killing another kid over one - even in public schools. As a parent I find it less stressful in the morning to just put the uniforms on the kids - how I loath those "casual dress" days - you have too much to plan on! Especially now since even toddlers are targeted by the fashion industry. My daughter has been selecting her own clothing since she was 3, and wants very much to be considered a "fashion girl"! Now this she does not get at home -- Last year (at age 3, in Pre-pre Kinder) she had to explain to me who "Hello Kitty" was, why she so much needed a Hello Kitty lunch box, and what malls her Mom could by it in. I was astounded by her acquisition of this knowledge in only a couple months of schooling. I can only imagine it must be much worse in places where you have to completly outfit these kids head to foot everyday. I am just barely able to cope with putting in pretty hairpieces for my daughter each day, and acceptable supplies for my son (the other day he came home miserable because someone poked fun at him because his book bag was "old" and "dusty" and not a brand new one -- $50 or more bag-- that everyone else had!). What is interesting though is from what I can see, by high school all this ridicule and ostracism peters out to a great extent. So perhaps quite a bit in elementary is perpetrated by the parents -- like a big contest to see who can perfectly outfit their young child. The other day I saw a mother marshalling in an immaculate, exquisitely groomed 6 year-old girl, with a perfectly fitting Hello Kitty rainjacket, and matching umbrella (for a very brief rainshower no less). The mother looked so proud, other looked on with envy. As soon as the girl got into the building she pulled off the jacket and ran off, throwing the umbrella down. The mother looked heartbroken. Rainjackets seem hot this year. The junior and high school students tend to be kind of messy, left to their own devices and from what I have seen and heard that intense clique-forming and competitiveness that somehow I survived in my US high school years (being a complete outcast), doesn't really happen in general. I'm sure there are schools where it does (like elite schools) but it doesn't seem to be the norm by any means. (So perhaps this supports the idea that the kids sort themselves out on other criteria than how one dresses). As a teacher trying to get high school students or lower level college students to compete in classes is like pulling teeth - they tend to maintain group cohesion at all cost. But I mostly have dealt with middle class teens so this might not be the case in other sectors. What role if any school uniforms have to do with this, I have no idea. But I can see a marked difference in the way my young kids behave in uniform and out of uniform. The uniform seems to put them in school mode, is cheaper and easier in the morning and that sure makes my life a bit easier.

Sally Everson

----- Original Message ----- From: joand315 <joand315 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 3:02 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)