[lbo-talk] Re: Art is Dead

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Aug 23 16:40:23 PDT 2003

Quoting Miike Quenling Ellis <flagrant_sake at yahoo.com>:

> that explains all those bad CG films. some day the tech will get advanced
> enough so that it actually looks like a real film.

I wonder about this. The programmers say that the sheer programming requirements of visual effects is mind-boggling, so you quickly run out of overhead, i.e. you'd need vast amounts of processing power to display relatively simple things, like a landscape or even a single halfway photographic-quality tree. The films are evolving as fast as the CGI technology, so it's the never-ending race of the Red Queen.

-- DRR