[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sat Aug 23 20:38:28 PDT 2003

> Why is it necessary to be different to be "individual"? Why are two
> people dressed alike less human, less "real people," than two people
> dressed differently? This whole discussion belongs in a bad
> freshman-comp paper.
>
> Carrol

This is obfuscatory nonsense. Let me precede my comments by noting that (in my view) it would be no great tragedy if children were forced to wear school uniforms. However, as with any other act, the choice of what to wear says something about ourselves and our environment--in social contexts of enforced conformity, it should be obvious that our choices generally say more about our enviroment than ourselves. (Of course, it's not really possible in a rigorous sense to seperate a person from his or her environment. The intuitive distinction is nonetheless far from meaningless.)

-- Luke