[lbo-talk] Re: on the books and off

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Aug 24 00:41:22 PDT 2003

Michael wrote:

"But I personally can't understand how these companies can be expanding their market share if they charge so much more -- up to 5 times more, on your figures -- as the independent contractors they're competing with. That seems to violate the laws of economics."

There are lots of people that are so distanced from the working class and from immigrants, that they simply don't have the means to find an independent contractor. Also, they are scared of trusting these poor furreners, so it makes more sense for them to hire through an agency. Presumably,the agency guarantees the "honesty" and reliability of the employee. If there's a problem, they can communicate with the agency not the employee. Somewhere in the back of their heads, they must figure that the agency gets most of the money, but they don't care. It's not their problem.

I have argued that the employee fares better being paid directly (w no taxes) and having complete flexibility, but Kelly doesn't buy this. So, I've stopped arguing as I have said my piece.

By the way, I am not a feminist, so it doesn't do much to accuse me of falling out of solidarity with my sisters.

Joanna