[lbo-talk] RE: Uniforms essentially empty phrase. It names nointelligible human act.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 24 08:02:41 PDT 2003

Eubulides wrote:

> [...]

Don't confuse sloppy writing with the essential point. :-) As K. Burke argues, the statement "X is essentially Y" means that X is really not Y. So let me rephrase. ""Expressing one's individuality" is an empty phrase."

Perhaps we are (in part) having trouble with diction. I take "expression" to be a conscious process. Hence to say, for example, that in this post Cox is "expressing his individuality" is either false or a trivial tautology -- anything anyone does is, willy-nilly, an expression of that person's individuality, and there is no way that a person can be other than an individual.

(Part of the background here goes back over 40 years, to when I taught freshman comp for three years at the University of Michigan. It seemed like every third paper one read was a diatribe against "conformity" and a praise of "being an individual." Yuck. So it wasn't a mere throwaway line when I suggested in an earlier post that the proper domain for discussions of this (non-)topic was in a freshman comp class.)

Another way of putting it: It's an impossibility not to be an individual, so why all the excitement about becoming what it's impossible not to become?

Carrol

P.S. It is quite possible that I have never, except in quoting others, used the term "genius." It explains nothing, and only in a sloppy fashion does it name what needs to be explained.