[lbo-talk] Re: Art is Dead

Miike Quenling Ellis flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 09:31:39 PDT 2003

--- Brian Siano <siano at mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > And one doesn't have to render the stuff in complete, excruciating
> detail,
> either. Let's say we've modelled a tree in our computer... but the
> tree's
> only a tiny part of an overall scene. So one doesn't need to create a
> fully-detailed tree. One uses a model that's just one good enough to
> make
> the shot work. (Albert Whitlock, one of the greatest matte painters,
> used a
> lot of pointillist techniques in his work. The paintings looked very
> indefinite, almost impressionistic... but the viewers own minds would
> 'fill
> in the details' when they saw the final scenes.)
>
> The problem with computer-generated effects isn't resolution or fineness
> of
> detail. It's mainly things like motion (CG creatures don't always move
> right), or motion artifacts (like blur), or a mismatch in the color
> palette
> (the animals in _Jumanji_ looked pretty washed-out), or things like
> perspective.

no the real problem is that CG affects are put in to make it look like something it's not....real motion occuring in physical space. much more will be lost than gained. i mean aesthetically alot can be said for technical limitations....eventually with more and more cg stuff things like cinematography and inventive camera work will suffer. what's more intersting.... how a cinematogrpher makes limited wire work effective (not neccesarily more realistic or believable) in a wuxia/kung fu film or that matrix stuff? not all people like having the physics completely spelled out for them. why do we even need say a CG affected shot were it makes the camera look like it's doing something it can't do like zoom through solid matter without any cuts? what's the point?

~M.E.

~M.E.