[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Aug 24 11:08:02 PDT 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Ted Winslow wrote:

> How do you reach the conclusion that "individualism ... is a crucial
> precipitate of socioeconomic relations" without thinking for yourself
> in the above sense?
>
> Ted

Why do you assume this is an original idea of mine? In fact, it isn't: read some Foucault, Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, etc. If you want to get self-referential, my post above is an excellent example of the point I was trying to make in my post above!

Again, Ted reflects the individualist assumption: thinking for yourself = good, accurate, true. An important question to ask: why is this assumption so pervasive? What are the sociopolitical ramifications of this assumption?

Miles