[lbo-talk] RE: uniforms

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Sun Aug 24 11:38:51 PDT 2003

does the popular fetishization of japanese school girls in uniform have anything to do with the wearing of uniforms? that'd be my guess. they may be appropriating something once forced on them, embracing it because they actually have the _choice_ now. (we see a similar phenom among third wave feminists, no?)

another thought: hip hop clothing styles emerged from the clothes worn in prison. turning them into fashion statements was not only about wearing those clothes as badges of honor, but they were also initially worn as a big fat fuck you. it was about taking the symbols of hegemonic whiteness and making it their own: scratching, sampling, graffiti, hip hop clothes. take what whites give us and refuse to wear it the way whites tells us to wear it in their fashion magazines. Tricia Rose does a nice job of exploring the political economy of hip hop style in _Black Noise_.

Kelley