[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Matt lbo at beyondzero.net
Mon Aug 25 07:06:12 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:37:32AM -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> There is a big difference! The Catholic school uniformity comes
> explicitly and unabashedly from above and as a result often instills the
> life-long disgust for authority in right-minded individuals. The
> corporate standards of fashion, by contrast, are imposed from above just
> as the Catholic school uniformity is - but they are cleverly disguised
> as "individual choice." As a result, people slavishly follow them
> without even knowing that they are being remotely controlled. Worse
> yet, they defend the corporate yoke as the epitome of "individual
> freedom," as it is often the case in the US.

I find it hard to believe that my high school in rural PA in the late 80s/early 90s was the unique location and time where a large percentage of the teens did dress in fashions not involving brand-names. There were goths, punks, and hippies; the group that shopped in retro stores and second-hand stores; they whose entire attire came from the parking lots of Grateful Dead shows. My friends and I bought clothes from a mil-surp place that had lots of Eastern European and Soviet fatigues and t-shirts.

These groups combined, equaled if not-outnumbered the Ralph Lauren, Benetton, Guess?, etc. wearers....

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Without disclosure there is no truth, without truth no accountability.

-Richard Thieme