[lbo-talk] OED weighs in, was Re: school uniforms

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 26 05:53:41 PDT 2003

Note: The Dictionary does not prove anything whatever, but sometimes it is interesting to take a look at the history of words that are at the center of any discussion.

I think this is under the 30k limit.

Carrol

INDIVIDUAL, a & n

A. adj.

1. One in substance or essence; forming an indivisible entity; indivisible. Obs.

c1425 Found. St. Bartholomew's (E.E.T.S.) II To the..glorie of the hye and indyuyduall Trynyte. a1619 M. FOTHERBY Atheom. I. vii. §I (1622) 50 Some make their god of Atomes, and indiuidual moates: some of diuidual numbers; as Epicurus, and Pythagoras. 1623 WHITBOURNE Newfoundland 56 In the name of the holy and indiuiduall Trinitie. 1641 MILTON Animadv. ii, This untheologicall Remonstrant would divide the individuall Catholicke Church into severall Republicks. 1678 CUDWORTH Intell. Syst. I. iv. §36. 611 It would be liable to misinterpretation, and to be taken, in the Sabellian sense, for that which hath one and the same singular and individual essence.

2. That cannot be separated; inseparable. Obs.

c1600 Timon I. ii. (1842) 6 Where ere thou go'st I still will folowe thee An indiuiduall mate. 1623 COCKERAM, Indiuiduall, not to bee parted, as man and wife. c1645 HOWELL Lett. I. III. ix, He..is an individual Companion to the King. 1667 MILTON P.L. IV. 486 To have thee by my side Henceforth an individual solace dear.

3. a. Existing as a separate indivisible entity; numerically one, single. b. Single, as distinct from others of the same kind; particular, special. Also absol. in phr. in the individual, in the particular case: opposed to in the general (GENERAL a. 11d).

1613 JACKSON Creed II. v. §5 Whether things indifferent in the general, or vnto many..be indifferent in the indiuiduall, to this or that particular man. 1651 BAXTER Inf. Bapt. 25 The whole Church must be so sanctified; therefore the individuall members. 1690 LOCKE Hum. Und. III. vi. §3 Our Idea of any individual Man would be..far different. 1729 BUTLER Serm. Hum. Nat. iii. Wks. 1874 II. 31 Every man in his physical nature is one individual single agent. 1786 BURKE W. Hastings Wks. 1842 II. 227 All powers delegated from the board to any individual servant of the company. 1793 A. HAMILTON Wks. (1886) VII. 75 Settlement of Accounts between the United and Individual States. 1833 L. RITCHIE Wand. by Loire 23 The traveller takes it [the château] for a town rather than an individual edifice. 1856 FROUDE Hist. Eng. (1858) II. viii. 244 A determination in each individual man to go his own way. 1896 DUKE OF ARGYLL Philos. Belief 74 It is not in the use of individual words, alone, that this principle of explanation is adopted.

c. Expressing self-identity: Identical, self-same, very same. Obs.

1633 PRYNNE Histriomastix 177 To sport themselves with those individuall sinnes upon the Stage, which the parties..are condoling now in Hell? 1641 J. JACKSON True Evang. T. II. 130 Polycarpus, Bishop of Smirna, and some say that Individuall Angell of the Church of Smirna, whereunto the second of those seven Asiatique Epistles are written. 1655 MARQUIS OF WORCESTER Cent. Inv. §I Seals..setting down..the individual place where anything was sealed. 1681-6 J. SCOTT Chr. Life (1747) III. 228 That this Remnant still continued the same individual Kingdom of Christ with the former, tho' very much reformed and improved. 1701 WALLIS in Hearne Collect. 24 July an. 1705 (O.H.S.) I. 15 Which I do believe to be this individual Book. 1753 SMOLLETT Ct. Fathom (1784) 178/1 They were communicated to her by the nun, who was no other than the individual Wilhelmina. 1804 C. SMITH Conversations I. 132 It is more probable that the individual insect in question had been produced this Summer.

4. Distinguished from others by attributes of its own; marked by a peculiar and striking character.

1646 SIR T. BROWNE Pseud. Ep. I. V. 19 A man should be something that men are not, and individuall in somewhat beside his proper nature. 1894 Harper's Mag. Mar. 494 He is so quaint and so individual in his views. 1897 Brit. Weekly 27 May 97 In him Nonconformity has lost one of her most conspicuous and individual figures.

5. a. Of, pertaining or peculiar to, a single person or thing, or some one member of a class; characteristic of an individual.

1605 BACON Adv. Learn. I. iii. §4 As touching the Manners of learned men, it is a thing personall and individuall. 1712 S. CLARKE Def. Immateriality Soul 13 The sole Reason urged..why a System of Matter cannot have a Power of Thinking or an Individual Consciousness. 1777 BURKE Addr. to King Wks. 1842 II. 395 We,..several of the peers of the realm, and several members of the house of commons..do in our individual capacity,..beg leave [etc.]. 1838-42 ARNOLD Hist. Rome xliii. III. 64 Our tendency is to admire individual greatness far more than national. 1859 DARWIN Orig. Spec. ii. (1878) 34 The many slight differences which appear in the offspring from the same parents..may be called individual differences. 1859 MILL Liberty i. (1864) 3/2 There is a limit to the legitimate interference of collective opinion with individual independence. 1862 RUSKIN Unto this Last iv. (1880) 169 All effectual advancement..must be by individual, not public effort.

b. individual name (word), judgement (see quots.).

1641 MILTON Animadv. xiii, It is no individuall word, but a Collective. 1843 MILL Logic I. ii. §3 An individual or singular name is a name which is only capable of being truly affirmed, in the same sense, of one thing. 1864 BOWEN Logic V. 122 A Singular or Individual Judgment, in which a Predicate is affirmed of one thing, or of a class of things taken as one whole. 1871 Public Sch. Lat. Gram. 23 Nouns or Names are Individual or Proper..which can only be applied to single persons, places, or objects.

c. Intended to serve one person; designed to contain one portion.

1889 Cent. Dict. s.v., An individual salt-cellar [colloq.]. 1895 Montgomery Ward Catal. 531/2 Individual Butter Plates. 1911 Daily Colonist (Victoria, B.C.) 22 Apr. 2/1 (Advt.), Table Necessities..Cut Glass Individual Salts, up from 35¢. 1948 Good Housek. Cookery Bk. 454 Use small individual moulds if you want jellies in a hurry. 1951 Catal. of Exhibits, South Bank Exhib., Festival of Britain 52/2 Individual casserole in heat-resisting glassware. 1965 T. FITZGIBBON Art Brit. Cooking 203 If made in individual small moulds they [sc. canary puddings] are called 'Castle Puddings'. 1970 K. GILES Death in Church i. 20 Node..dug his fork into the individual pudding.

d. Psychol. Relating or pertaining to the study of individuals, as opposed to that of a group or society. Also used to denote A. Adler's method of analytical psychology.

1898 Amer. Jrnl. Psychol. X. 329 The systematic consideration of the problems grouped under the name of 'Individual Psychology' is of but recent date. Indeed, the only treatment of the whole subject for its own sake is that contained in a paper published in 1895, by Mm. Binet and Henri. Ibid. 330 Individual Psychology, on the contrary, studies those psychical processes which vary from one individual to another. 1917 GLUECK & LIND tr. Adler's Neurotic Constitution (1921) p. v, An empiric basis is made use of in comparative individual-psychology for the purpose of establishing a fictive standard of normality in order to enable one to measure and compare with it grades of deviation from it. 1933 T. S. ELIOT Use of Poetry 17, I cannot accept any such theory which is erected upon purely individual-psychological foundations. 1933 W. J. H. SPROTT tr. Freud's New Introd. Lect. Psycho-Anal. xxxiv. 180 In reality Individual Psychology has very little to do with analysis, but..lives a sort of parasitic existence at its expense..; we cannot assent to any interference with its correct application as meaning the opposite of Group Psychology. 1951 E. E. EVANS-PRITCHARD Social Anthropol. iii. 45 There are various and particular objections to each of these successive attempts to explain social facts by individual psychology. 1959 L. RADL in Adler & Deutsch Ess. Individual Psychol. 162 At this point the close similarity between the Existentialist doctrine and Individual Psychology once again becomes strikingly apparent.

e. individual variable Logic, a variable that ranges over individuals. Cf. sense B. n. 2b.

1937 A. SMEATON tr. Carnap's Logical Syntax of Lang. 195 A 0v is called an individual variable. 1952 P. F. STRAWSON Introd. Logical Theory V. 130 To the variable 'x' and other variables of the same type..we give the name 'individual variables'. 1954 I. M. COPI Symbolic Logic iv. 67 The small letter 'x'called an 'individual variable'is a mere place marker which serves to indicate where an individual constant may be written for a singular proposition to result. 1965 HUGHES & LONDEY Elem. Formal Logic xxiii. 169 We shall call such variables individual-variables (meaning thereby, of course, not that the variables are themselves individualswhatever that might meanbut that they stand indifferently for the names of individual things).

B. n.

1. pl. Inseparable things: see A. 2. Obs.

1627 FELTHAM Resolves I. xix. (1628) 17 Humanity and Miserie are alwayes paralels: sometimes indiuiduals. 1661 Lusoria (1696) 44 They are here Individuals, for no Demonstrance of Duty or Authority can distinguish them.

2. a. A single object or thing, or a group of things forming a single complex idea, and regarded as a unit; a single member of a natural class, collective group, or number.

1605 TIMME Quersit. I. iv. 17 We shall thoroughly discuss and ransacke euery particular individuall in his kinde. 1700 DRYDEN Palamon & A. III. 1056 That individuals die, his will ordains; The propagated species still remains. 1715-20 POPE Iliad Pref., We see each circumstance of art and individual of nature summoned together by the extent and fecundity of his imagination. 1850 R. G. CUMMING Hunter's Life S. Afr. (ed.2) I. 269 note, I have not unfrequently met with herds [of giraffes] containing thirty individuals. 1868 ROGERS Pol. Econ. vi. (1876) 54 It makes no difference whether the individual be a numerical unit, or an aggregate unit, as a partnership, company, or corporation of traffickers.

b. Logic and Metaph. An object which is determined by properties peculiar to itself and cannot be subdivided into others of the same kind; spec. in Logic: An object included in a species, as a species is in a genus. See INDIVIDUUM.

1628 T. SPENCER Logick 44 It is not possible to know vntill wee come vnto indiuidualls..vntill we ataine vnto those things which doe not admit division. 1658 PHILLIPS s.v., An individual..in Logick..signifies that which cannot be divided into more of the same name or nature, and is by some called Singulare. 1727-41 CHAMBERS Cycl. s.v., The usual division in logic is made into genera..those genera into species, and those species into individuals. 1833 J. H. NEWMAN Arians II. iv. (1876) 185 ..being, substance..'that which has existence in itself, independent of every thing else to constitute it': that is, an individual. 1858 WHEWELL Hist. Sci. Ideas (ed. 3) II. 148 (L.) Our idea of an individual is, that it is a whole composed of parts, which are not similar to the whole, and have not an independent existence, while the whole has an independent existence and a definite form. 1860 ABP. THOMSON Laws Th. §56. 86 An individual is that which cannot be divided without ceasing to be what it is.

c. Zool. and Bot. A single member of a species; a single specimen of an animal or plant.

1859 DARWIN Orig. Spec. ii. (1873) 34 No one supposes that all the individuals of the same species are cast in the same actual mould. 1880 GRAY Struct. Bot. ix. §I. 315 Individuals are the units of the series which constitute species..Each individual is an independent organism, of which the component parts are reciprocally means and ends. 1885 G. L. GOODALE Phys. Bot. (1892) 425 In scientific as well as popular language the term individual is commonly applied to each and every plant.

d. Biol. An organism regarded as having a separate existence.

Sometimes used specifically of a single member of a colony of organisms, (as a leaf-bud, or a polyp of a clenterate); by others defined as 'the whole product of a single fertilized ovum'; more strictly: an organism detached from other organisms, composed of coherent parts, and capable of independent life.

1776 WITHERING Brit. Plants (1796) I. 159 Blossom general, regular. Individuals of 1 petal, tubular. 1847 CARPENTER Zool. §46 In the Polypes..a number of individuals, each capable (like a leaf-bud) of living by itself, are arranged on one common plant-like structure. 1864 H. SPENCER Princ. Biol. §74 I. 207 A biological Individual is any concrete whole having a structure which enables it, when placed in appropriate conditions, to continuously adjust its internal relations to external relations, so as to maintain the equilibrium of its functions. 1870 NICHOLSON Zool. 25 In zoological language, an individual is defined as 'equal to the total result of a single ovum'. 1888 ROLLESTON & JACKSON Anim. Life 231 The proglottides..are supposed to be produced..by posterior germination of the scolex, from which they are detached in many instances either singly or in groups..But the facts do not appear to necessitate the view that the proglottis is an individual.

3. a. A single human being, as opposed to Society, the Family, etc.

1626 J. YATES Ibis ad Caesarem II. 12 margin, The Prophet saith not, God saw euery particular man in his bloud, or had compassion to say to euery Indiuiduall, Thou shalt liue. 1641 J. JACKSON True Evang. T. III. 213 Peace..is the very supporter of Individualls, Families, Churches, Commonwealths. 1776 ADAM SMITH W.N. (1869) I. Introd. 2 Among the savage nations of hunters and fishers, every individual..is..employed in useful labour. 1868 M. PATTISON Academ. Org. V. 141 We are most jealous of the rights of individuals, and careless of the common welfare. 1899 J. MONRO GIBSON in Expositor Feb. 144 It will not be as Churches but as individuals that we shall all stand before the Judgment seat of Christ.

b. Without any notion of contrast or relation to a class or group: A human being, a person. (Now chiefly as a colloquial vulgarism, or as a term of disparagement.)

1742 JOHNSON Debates (1787) II. 172 Only one individual was injured by another. 1771 GOLDSM. Hist. Eng. III. 125 These she bequeathed to different individuals. 1781 S. PETERS Hist. Conn. 74 The People of Massachusetts..conceived the idea of exalting an individual of their own Province. 1828 SCOTT F.M. Perth xxiv, The three individuals entered the boat with great precaution. 1856 KANE Arct. Expl. II. x. 111 The individual whom I desired to meet. 1888 F. HUME Mad. Midas I. Prol., He appeared to be an exceedingly unpleasant individual.

4. Short for individual person; person, personality, self. Obs.

1655 SIR E. NICHOLAS in N. Papers (Camden) 305 As to what concerns my owne poore indiuiduall, I am armed against all euents and deffy fortune to her teeth. 1678 CUDWORTH Intell. Syst. I. v. 674 They could not propagate their kind by generation, as neither indeed preserve their own individuals. 1771 SMOLLETT Humph. Cl. 15 July, A transient compliment made to his own individual in particular, or to his country in general. 1774 LEE Let. to Burke B's Corr. 1844 I. 513 Even the appearance of their individuals is totally changed since I first knew them. 1800 GODWIN in C. Kegan Paul W. Godwin (1876) II. 5 Driven back..to consider of my own miserable individual.

INDIVIDUALITY

1. The state or quality of being indivisible or inseparable; indivisibility, inseparability. b. An indivisible or inseparable entity.

1645 MILTON Tetrach. (1851) 165 These words also inferre that there ought to be an individuality in Mariage. 1833 J. H. NEWMAN Arians II. iii. (1876) 171 As though He were so derived from the simple Unity of God as..to inhere within that ineffable individuality. 1864 Apol. App. 61 When the eternal foes are so intermingled and interfused that to human eyes they seem to coalesce into a multitude of individualities.

2. The fact or condition of existing as an individual; separate and continuous existence.

1658 SIR T. BROWNE Hydriot iii. 19 But the soul subsisting, other matter clothed with due accidents, may salve the individuality. a1735 ARBUTHNOT (J.), He would tell his instructor..that individuality could hardly be predicated of any man. 1802 PALEY Nat. Theol. xxvii. (1819) 482 Consciousness carries identity and individuality along with it through all changes of form or of visible qualities. 1876 J. P. NORRIS Rudim. Theol. I. iv. 72 Individuality is essential to our idea of a person.

b. The action or position of the individual members of a society.

1796 BURKE Regic. Peace ii. Wks. VIII. 253 To them the will, the wish, the want, the liberty, the toil, the blood of individuals is as nothing. Individuality is left out of their scheme of government. The state is all in all.

3. The aggregate of properties peculiar to an individual; the sum of the attributes which distinguish an object from others of the same kind; individual character. b. Idiosyncrasy; strongly marked individual character.

1614 SELDEN Titles Hon. 117 Appietas and Lentulitas, For the indiuidualite, as it were of Appius and Lentulus, or Patauinitas for Liuies stile. 1628 T. SPENCER Logick 196 A man is a living Creature, mortall, and capable of learning. In this sentence, man abstracted from individualitie..is described. 1792 M. WOLLSTONECRAFT Rights Wom. iv. 151 The spring-tide of life over, we look for soberer sense in the face;..expecting to see individuality of character. 1866 A. FLINT Princ. Med. (1880) 18 The circumstances which give to the different diseases their individuality. 1874 GREEN Short Hist. viii. §10. 585 The Puritan individuality is nowhere so overpowering as in Milton. 1875 JOWETT Plato (ed. 2) V. 21 In every man's writings there is something like himself and unlike others, which gives individuality.

c. pl. Individual characteristics.

1647 H. MORE Poems 126 The soul..Against the law of Corporeities, It doth devest them both of time and place, And of all individualities. 1862 BURTON Bk. Hunter (1863) 16 All identically the same in edition and minor individualities. 1871 R. H. HUTTON Ess. II. 304 Mere individualities of taste and talent and temper.

4. a. An individual thing. b. An individual personality.

1775 JOHNSON Lett. to Mrs. Thrale 26 July, Here sit poor I, with nothing but my own solitary individuality. 1859 BARONESS BUNSEN in Hare Life (1879) II. iv. 245 That little cherished individuality, though ever so young, lives on. 1862 DANA Man. Geol. 759 In what respects the earth is an individuality. 1863 MRS. C. CLARKE Shaks. Char. vi. 150 Jack Falstaff, that most unique and fine of individualities.

5. Phrenology. The faculty of knowing objects as mere substances or existences; the supposed 'organ' of this faculty.

1828 G. COMBE Const. Man 72 Individuality and Eventuality, or the powers of observing things that exist and occurrences.

INDIVIDUALISM

1. Self-centred feeling or conduct as a principle; a mode of life in which the individual pursues his own ends or follows out his own ideas; free and independent individual action or thought; egoism.

1827 L. T. REDE Road to Stage 59, I beg to disclaim, in these observations, any individualism; several talented persons may be found connected with such establishments. 1835 H. REEVE tr. De Tocqueville's Democr. in Amer. II. II. ii. (1840) III. 203 Individualism is a novel expression, to which a novel idea has given birth..Individualism is a mature and calm feeling, which disposes each member of the community to sever himself from the mass of his fellow-creatures, and to draw apart with his family and friends. 1840 GLADSTONE Ch. Princ. 98 It is too closely connected with our individualism in religion. 1856 KINGSLEY Misc., Hours w. Mystics I. 351 He is not tempted by it to selfish individualism, or contemplative isolation, as long as he is true to the old Mosaic belief. 1873 M. ARNOLD Lit. & Dogma (1876) 312 It is the consecration of absolute individualism.

2. The social theory which advocates the free and independent action of the individual, as opposed to communistic methods of organization and state interference. Opposed to COLLECTIVISM and SOCIALISM.

1851 MILL in Westm. Rev. LVI. 87 Socialism as long as it attacks the existing individualism, is easily triumphant. 1884 J. RAE Contemp. Socialism 209 Socialism and individualism are merely two contrary general principles, ideals, or methods, which may be employed to regulate the constitution of economical society. 1890 WESTCOTT in Guardian 8 Oct. 1581/1 Individualism regards humanity as made up of disconnected or warring atoms: Socialism regards it as an organic whole, a vital unity formed by the combination of contributory members mutually interdependent.

3. Metaph. The doctrine that the individual is a self-determined whole, and that any larger whole is merely an aggregate of individuals, which, if they act upon each other at all do so only externally.

1877 E. CAIRD Philos. Kant iv. 71 Is such a more adequate philosophy to be found in the idealistic individualism of Leibnitz?

4. = INDIVIDUALITY 2, 3.

1854 Blackw. Mag. LXXV. 66 Their ideas of God did not possess that individualism and personality which so remarkably characterised those of the Hebrews. 1870 EMERSON Soc. & Solit. viii. 173 A person of commanding individualism will answer it as Rochester does. 1885 Harper's Mag. Mar. 520/2 The individualism which is aimed at by architects.

5. An individual peculiarity; e.g. a manuscript reading peculiar to an individual scribe or copyist.

1881 WESTCOTT & HORT Grk. N.T. II. 232 Singular readings which are mere individualisms, so to speak, originating with the scribe or one of his immediate predecessors.

6. Bot. [ad. G. individualismus (K. von Tubeuf Pflanzenkrankheiten (1895) I. ii. 102).] A type of symbiosis in which the product of the relationship differs from either of the component organisms. Now rare.

1897 A. SCHNEIDER in Minnesota Bot. Stud. I. 944 The best known and perhaps the most typical form of complete individualism is represented by the higher lichens. 1913 Mycologia V. 102 It is supposed that the relationship is becoming closer and closer, and that finally it will be so intimate that neither symbiont will be able to live independently. Then will the individualism be perfect. 1967 P. GRAY Dict. Biol. Sci. 268/1 Individualism, a type of symbiosis, in which the aggregate differs from any of its components. A lichen is a case in point.

INDIVIDUALIST

1. One who pursues an independent or egoistic course in thought or action.

1840 GLADSTONE Ch. Princ. 131 The sentiment of the catholic is better, and its besetting danger less, than those of the individualist in religion. 1856 KINGSLEY Misc., Hours w. Mystics I. 351 The Pharisee becomes a selfish individualist just because he has forgotten this. 1883 BEARD Reformation vi. 189 The Anabaptists were the individualists of the Reformation.

2. An adherent of the social theory of Individualism. (See also quot. 1891.)

1876 FAWCETT Pol. Econ. (ed. 5) II. x. 275 It is maintained by the individualists that if a great number of manufactories and other trading establishments were brought into connection with the Wholesale Society, the business would become far too extensive and complicated to be properly managed. 1888 Pall Mall G. 10 Sept. 3/2 To hold the scales between individualists and Socialists. 1891 BEATRICE POTTER Coop. Movem. Gt. Brit. 75 The term Individualist has been used within the Cooperative movement for the last twenty years to denote that school of Cooperators who insist that each separate manufacturing establishment shall be governed (if possible owned) by those who work therein; the profits being divided among the working proprietors. Opposed to Federalist. 1896 Times 30 Jan. 8 If the individualists are to hold their own against the encroachments of the State.

3. attrib. or as adj. = INDIVIDUALISTIC.

1871 MORLEY Crit. Misc. Ser. I. 341 Owing to the supremacy in European thought of the individualist ideas which Christianity carried in with it. 1885 Contemp. Rev. June 903 He condemns Liberalism because it is individualist. 1892 Times 14 Oct. 7/2 The traditions of French workmen are strongly individualist, and they have not been in a hurry to enter into combinations. Ibid. 26 Nov. 9/2 The cautious individualist development of colonization in Australia or North America.