[lbo-talk] school uniforms

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Tue Aug 26 08:38:03 PDT 2003

At 8:32 AM -0400 26/8/03, Jon Johanning wrote:

>(BTW, what exactly is the superiority of unpasteurized over pasteurized milk?)

Not much, its an acquired taste. At least you can get an idea of the amount of cream. I'm told that the dead bacteria in pasteurised milk tend to break down and release unhealthy toxins into the milk. Whether that would be more or less unhealthy than live bacteria in the milk would depend on exactly what bacteria it is though.

Tha bad bacteria in milk gets there mainly as a result of unhygienic work practices in the milking shed. In short, cow shit. Though some diseases like mastitis can also be a problem. Small amounts of deadly bacteria won't hurt anyone with a functioning immune system. But someone milking 1000 cows twice a day can really foul the milk if they aren't careful. Then there's distribution, where milk sits around for days (you can't let raw milk sit around for long, it goes off quick smart) and some shops tend to economise on electricity by not having their fridges cold enough to stop the bacteria multiplying.

So pasteurisation makes up for a lot of evils basically. Personally, I think the risk is minor, raw milk never did me any harm and I was brought up on it.

Anyhow, I notice that the discussion has drifted far out to sea from the original "school uniforms" in the subject header. Time to Harold Holt it. ;-)

Bill Bartlett Brackell Tas