[lbo-talk] RE: Servant Culture

boddhisatva boddhisatva at netzero.net
Tue Aug 26 13:37:05 PDT 2003

C. Kelley's "argument" is tortured beyond recognition but on the question of the "lengths to which companies go to anticipate and create the trends of private life, and to insinuate themselves into private daily life", I say this:

To the extent that capitalists are trying to anticipate the needs of the consumer that is an unalloyed good. All I EVER want, for example, a maker of tires to do is think about making me a better-gripping tire and providing it to me with the least total economic cost TO ME.

To the extent that capitalists expend effort not to serve our needs but to alter them, that is the typical capitalist response to a market: try to subvert that market by exerting monopoly power. The capitalist is always trying to steer the market economy towards his monopoly power.

peace,

boddi