[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 26 15:54:40 PDT 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Also the plain vulgarity of thinking that choosing this color or
>that color for a shirt has anything to do with freedom or autonomy.

Why not? People choose their clothes because of the way they feel and the kind of groups they want to affiliate themselves with. That's freedom of expression and association, which, despite their bourgeois roots, are rather fundamental rights that I think should be embraced and expanded, not dismissed with a patronizing sneer.

If you could hear for a second what a humorless crank you sound like, you might understand why your version of politics has no chance of attracting more than 1% of any population.

Doug