[lbo-talk] Contemporary authors

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 26 17:32:46 PDT 2003

Russell Banks, William Vollman, Don de Lillo, Richard Price, Martin Amis, Salman Rushdie, Will Self, Edmund White, Botho Strauss, Thomas Bernhard ("Wittgenstein’s Nephew, " , "Correction." http://www.thomasbernhard.org/biblio.shtml ), Denis Johnson (who has a novelette w/ a title from a Velvet Underground lyric, and another where in a post-nuclear war world, Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley are worshipped as saints, though I prefer his first novel the most), Dennis Cooper, Mr. "Pretty Vacant, " in gay fiction, I love.All men, since I read far more male novelists, should read more wimmin. "Vida, " a fictionalized acct. of the Weather Underground by Marge Piercy was o.k. Doris Lessing, Margaret Atwood, Louise Erdrich, Nadine Gordimer.

Leslie Adelson, "Subjectivity Reconsidered: Botho Strauss and Contemporary West German Prose" from New German Critique 30 (Fall 1983 ): 3-20

-- Michael Pugliese