[lbo-talk] school uniforms

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 27 09:51:58 PDT 2003

Luke Weiger wrote:

>I wrote:
>
>> >I agree that the lifestyle you describe is a relative paradise, but it's
>> >probably beyond the means of the average American (median income for a
>> >family of four is around $35,000).
>
>Kelley wrote:
>
>> just a point of order: the median four person family income is $63,278
> > http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104583.html
>
>Weird. I'd remembered this data from some time ago:
>http://www.census.gov/hhes/income/mednhhld/t1.html

Household income, which includes people living alone and with non-relatives, is lower than family income. And four-person families, though they're a norm in a lot of minds, are actually a minority - out of about 109m households in the U.S., 74m are family households, and about 15m are four-person families.

Doug