[lbo-talk] Stomping Out the Reds/Go Blue

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 11:47:15 PDT 2003

--- Gregory Geboski <greg at mail.unionwebservices.com> wrote:
> Lance Murdoch wrote:
>
> << Michigan State College >>
>
> Uh, that's Michigan State University, which at the
> time I attended as an undergrad was the third
> largest in the US. It was also easier to be Red
> there, at least at that time (late 70s-early 80s),
> than at the University of Michigan, an elite
> institution with more ideological controls. MSU's
> faculty had a fairly good batch of 60s-era
> troublemakers who could never pass the gatekeepers
> at U-M/Harvard/Stanford, I would guess.

As a late 70s-early 80s vintage U-M red, I represent that remark. Nothing against East Lansing, mind you, we did a lot of work with comrades there. No invidious comparisons. But Ann Arbor in that era was a good time and place to be a commie, and there were a fair lot of us. Now, as to the faculty then: there was a pretty decent political economy program in the econ dept, since shut down (Tom Weisskopf), Dean Baker and Mark Weisbrot, whom people will know, as well as Hans Ehrbahr, were in grad school with me in that era. My main dept, philosophy, had Peter Railton (still does), at that time a Marxist (I know he's still a leftist); at the end of my time there the dept hired Elizabeth Anderson, one of the leading left philosophers today. English, there was and is my comrade Alan Wald; physics there's Dan Axelrod; Natural resources, Bunyan Bryant; sociology there was Tillt and Geoff Alexander and Howard Berman -- oh, U-M was red enough in them days.