[lbo-talk] school uniforms (was: Ehrenreich responds to BDL)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 27 13:22:32 PDT 2003

Doug:
> stupidity, I can endorse that. But that's way different from arguing
> that people are as manipulable as sheep. They're not. They're often
> very creative, and capable of resistance.

I thought I made that statement about teenagers, not everyone. Some of them are creative and capable of resistance, but many are not. The specimens I know are pure products of the name brand marketing.

> I'm frequently struck by how many radicals/leftists/whatevers are
> driven by misanthropy and pessimism.

"Optimism is the opium of the masses. Long live Trotsky." (Milan Kundera, _The joke_).

But more seriously, rejection of pop culture and celebrity cults does NOT equal misanthropy and pessimism. Just as embracing them does not equal philanthropy and optimism.

On that cheerful note ... I'am out of this place for today.

Wojtek